Mevagissey on the south east
coast of Cornwall is a fishing village with many narrow streets
with shops, restaurants, cafes, craft shops and pubs.
The East and West Quays are early 18th century. The outer harbour
and walls are late 18th century.
The building was built in 1745 and used for boat building and repairs
but now houses the museum. Displays include an Apple Crusher, Cider
Press, horse-drawn rotating Barley Thresher and a Cornish kitchen
with a working cloam oven. A collection of photographs depicting
village life in the 19th and 20th century.
World of Model Railways
Has a display of over 30 trains travelling through different landscapes.
Interactive buttons for lights, sound, and action.
Is housed in the old R.N.L.I. lifeboat house.
Events in Mevagissey:
Week long annual event held in June with demonstrations, live
music, fish dishes to eat, choirs, bands, flora dances, children’s
entertainment, competitions, parades, boat and raft races, a fete
and firework display.
Beaches near Mevagissey:
Sandy beach, ideal for swimming and all water sports, toilets
and refreshments available from the Holiday Park
Sandy beach with some shingle. No facilities other than the local
pub. No car park.
Small sandy beach, approx. 10-15 min walk from NT Car Park. No
Gorran Haven/Little Perhaver
Popular sandy family beach, car park down a slight incline, beach
shop and toilets.
Vault also known as Bow beach. (Gorran Haven)
Small sandy beach, this is unofficially used by naturists. No
Sheltered beach. Car Park at Gorran Haven.
Small sand & pebble beach, reached via the coastal path, steep
descent, unsuitable for pushchairs & wheelchairs
Sandy beach, car park, toilets and cafe.
Places to visit:
The Lost Gardens of Heligan
The old derelect gardens on the Tremayne estate were discovered
and so the project began to bring them back to life, that was
back in the 1990's.
Caerhays House and Gardens
The estate overlooking Porthluney Cove has a castle, woodlands
and gardens. To visit please consult their website.
Once a small port for local stone and china clay. The harbour
dates from medieval times but was rebuilt during the early 19th
century when it was mainly a fishing village. Now the harbour
is cut off from the sea. Some of the older buildings in the village
and the harbour were built using Pentewan stone taken from the
Small 13th century village with fishermen's cottages situated
in a secluded cove. There are two sandy beaches and the 400-ft
high Dodman Point with traces of an Iron Age fort.
The founder of Pears' Soap was born in Mevagissey in 1768